The first telephone system in Schaller was organized in
1900 by W.K. Whiteside. An operator was on duty daily from
6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. to help the 27 patrons complete
Four years later (in 1904), the Eden Mutual
Telephone Company was organized, with local townspeople and
farmers owning the stock. According to terms of the charter,
Eden Mutual was dissolved December 27, 1915 and replaced
by the present company.
The Schaller Telephone Company was
organized from stockholders of Eden Mutual and received its
Certificate of Incorporation on March 20, 1915. A.D. Woodke
served as President and W.M. Speaker as Secretary.
of the present two-story building was completed in 1915.
Dr. T.H. McCrary occupied office space on the first floor,
and the �new� telephone switchboard was installed on the
Sac County Electric Company gained control
of the company in March 1929 by purchasing a majority of
the outstanding common stock. H.E. Russell became President
and served until April 1940 when H.J. Reimers purchased controlling
interest and became both President and Operating Manager.
Following World War II, modern and dependable communications
became a necessity. The first modern dial system was installed
in 1957, replacing the outmoded manual switchboards used
at that time. Glenn Reimers became the Manager that same
The Company has grown through a series of three expansions:
Galva�s Telephone Company (405 Patrons) merged with the Schaller
Telephone Company (522 Patrons) in December 1960. Then, in
February, 196l, the exchange at Cushing was purchased. New
dial equipment was installed at Cushing, cable was put underground
and single-party service was provided to the 1,133 Patrons
of the Schaller Telephone Company. The Company acquired the
Kiron exchange January 1, 1974, and the task of upgrading
facilities to improve service in that area began.
Telephone Company is committed to improvement. It continued
its modernization efforts on 1984 when the company began
conversion to digital switching. At the heart of this upgrade
was the installation of Northern Telecom DMS 10 digital switches
in each of Schaller Telephone Company�s four exchanges. This
project was complete when the digital switch in Kiron was
put into service on May 28, 1987.
Similar programs of modernization
will be undertaken as new technologies and equipment are
developed. Schaller Telephone Company�s goal is still to
provide the best possible service to its 1,656 patrons.